Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday School

After singing for the second time in a day the hymn "Jesus Saviour, Pilot Me," the chamelic circle of Zarahemla was transformed into a ship's helm, and we discussed the parable within that hymn. As an example, the words of the first verse are: "Jesus, Saviour, pilot me over life's tempestuous sea; unknown waves before me roll, hiding rock and treach'rous shoal. Chart and compass came from thee: Jesus, Saviour, pilot me." We then read a scripture in Mormon 5:17-18 which likens those who forsake Christ and follow Satan to be "as a vessel is tossed about upon the waves, without sail or anchor, or without anything wherewith to steer her." We were reminded of the importance of having Christ to guide us through the many trials we face in life today, even greater than those facing Mormon and his people in their days. As it was quite an educational lesson (always a good thing), what are some insights you gained that you would like to share? Comment below...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learned that often the 'pilot' will guide the big ship from a little boat in front!

Anonymous said...

I too learnt that Maz. what I also learnt was that Colin was so appalled by my organ playing that he got Elder Page to play it again instead of me :S hehe. I really enjoyed the lesson today Colin :)

Em said...

Snap! I didn't know that until the lesson either :)

Anonymous said...

Actually, I may have misled you a little; more often than not, the Pilot boards the larger vessel to give assistance to the captain. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbor_Pilot )

And Fiona, I feel SO BAD!!! I envy your skill on the keyboard, but am so used to Organists not wanting to play piano, I quite forgot you prefer piano! Please accept my apology!

(I can tender my resignation to Bishop too if you like?)

Have a good week everyone!

Anonymous said...

haha apology accepted colin! no need to resign.